EngLee's Path

A blog about Eng Lee's life, a freelance programmer in Royal Klang Town (Malaysia).


Sunday, November 23, 2008

Malaysia Entrepreneurs' Startup Camp


Since I left eGENTING to do a startup, though a small one, thought it might be useful to join the Startup Camp organised by Malaysia Entrepreneurs (check the schedule to roughly know what is it all about).

I was planning to be there early to get myself a T-shirt (limited by first 100) but failed to do so because I had a severe stomachache early in the morning. I reached the Plug and Play Centre at 9:30am, so I managed to join "Profiling: Picking The Right Partners" by Michael Reyes from Money Tree. I must say he's a good speaker and learn what to look for when you need to get a partner. He also made me realised that I shouldn't get the partner I was planning to get.

Next, I thought MSC Pre Seed Grants would help a little in my small company, but after listening to it, I understand that the things I'm working for, is not really suitable to get a grant. Besides that, it was a session where there are too many people standing at the front, each of them trying to tell a story of their own, made the whole session out of control.

I then left for lunch early because I haven't had anything yet. Heard from my girlfriend who attended another session that the other speaker is too inexperience to share his experience.

After that, I can't find any of the session interesting until 5:00pm when Dr Sivapalan spoke about "7 Deadly Sins of Entrepreneurs". He is quite right, from what I learned from his speech, I would fail miserably soon, if I'm working the way I'm.

The 7 Deadly Sins:

  1. Not enough research - I didn't do much research, I don't even know who's my competitor!

  2. Not focus - I'm taking all kinds of projects!

  3. Under capitalised - Never thought of capital yet!

  4. Weak team - Do I have a team?!

  5. Lack of strategy - What is strategy?!

  6. Value proposition - Err.. at least I have some values.

  7. Weak marketing and sales - Haha. One leg kicking!


Guess I'm planning to fail. Time to change!

Besides learning a little from the talks, I also learn something new: Young speakers are either success too early or failed too early. They are not ready to share experience when the successful ones don't know how to overcome failures and the failed ones don't know about how to success. Only the ones who has gone ups and downs can tell you the real story. (Anyway, there are exceptions too.)

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, November 24, 2008 9:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This event is organized by volunteers :) supported by Malaysia Entrepreneurs. They deserve the credits.

     
  • At Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:32:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    I'm sure they are, but I don't know who they are. Thanks for all the efforts, volunteers!

    Anyway, are they being credited in Entrepreneurs.my? ;)

     
  • At Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:04:00 PM, Blogger Lim Fang-Yin said…

    What is strategy?
    I believe is something like.........
    - hire Amber Chia to be your product's spokeperson; or.........
    - talk to Intel for an agreement to bundle their utilities/drivers with a shareware version of your main product.......
    - or create bizzare youtube clip for the purpose of marketing (the more controversial the better, Namewee's clip is a good example)

     
  • At Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:06:00 PM, Blogger EngLee said…

    What you mentioned is true, but it is only the marketing side of the strategy.

    A company's strategy is the planning of the whole business. It's something like AirAsia aim on the cheap model and the whole team work towards the business model.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home