EngLee's Path

A blog about Eng Lee's life, a freelance programmer in Royal Klang Town (Malaysia).


Friday, July 25, 2008

Replace MyKad at Putrajaya




It was a great experience to replace my I/C or MyKad at Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN) or you would call it National Registration Department.

First of all, why do I need to replace my I/C? I just went to Public Bank the day before to open a bank account to borrow some money (economy is bad). After everything has been properly filled up, they wanted to verify my MyKad. The IRIS device failed to read the chip. Actually, I'm already expecting that because it has broken more than a year ago. Then, I thought I could use passport to verify myself. Maybank would request for passport when my I/C failed.

The Public Bank staff insisted on using I/C, and she suggested me to change it at JPN Putrajaya which only takes one day to process. ONE DAY TO PROCESS?! Is that really a government department? I remember there were some reports about this earlier. I thought I'll check it out.

Yesterday, I woke up damned early in the morning and drove to JPN, Putrajaya. I didn't know where is the exact location, but I managed to find it in my GPS. Anyhow, it's not hard to find because it's located at Presint 2, at the road where all the Merdeka parade was held.

Unbelievably, the whole process to register and take picture took me less than 5 minutes. There are about 18 counters for replacing or getting a new MyKad. Another thing I must praise is their efficiency and courtesy. They certainly deserve the praise and gone to the next level.

Yesterday evening, I called their hotline and well-mannered, they told me that my I/C is ready! I was supposed to wake up early to collect it this morning, but I'm just so lazy. I'll probably get it later today.

However, there is still one point for improvement. When I reach there, I had to park my car at a parking lot beside a construction yard. All the parking lots in the building are reserved for their employees. I don't care to leave my car under the sun, but the parking lot that shares the same entrance with construction site is just so bad.

Oh, forgot to mentioned about the cost. I had to pay RM10 for replacing MyKad. Other costs would be the petrol from Klang to Putrajaya (50KM one way) and RM5.90 toll (one way). By doing the maths, it actually quite expensive to do it there.

(100 x 0.25) + (5.90 x 2) + 10 = 46.80

UPDATE: I forgot to include a second trip to collect it. So, it would be at the cost of RM36.80 + RM46.80 = RM83.60!

It's far but it's worth the trouble. If I were to replace it in Klang or Shah Alam, it would take 10 days. You wouldn't know whether it's a real 10 days.

Some pictures:


The floors are well labeled. You know where to go once you are there.


There's a small garden in the building. Look at how our tax money are spent.


Nice cafe with the running numbers, so that you don't have to wait at the counters.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:03:00 PM, Blogger frossonice said…

    hi,

    I'm just a clerk with JPN in Putrajaya and i found your article while searching information about MyKad. I would like to show my appreciation on your good comment about JPN. We tried our best to serve our guest.

    FYI, the parking space next to JPN does not belong to JPN. It was a proper temporary parking space before the construction begin a few months ago. As it is now, the land is actually a private property owned by some Hong Kong or Arabs company. We do have basement parking space but due to security reason, we cannot let public use it. There are a few parking lots around the area which sad to say, quite far from JPN.

    The pocket garden inside the building is purposely built to enhance the environment and act as a relaxing place. Sometimes wedding couples took their opportunity to take their pictures there.

    Thank you once again for commenting on JPN.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:49:00 PM, Blogger EngLee said…

    I do hope you guys can get a proper parking for the public.

     
  • At Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:04:00 PM, Blogger frossonice said…

    Putrajaya is owned by Putrajaya Management including parks and parking bays. They did try to start park-n-ride service which you leave your vehicles at designated station and ride government using the buses which i admit is a hassle. That is one reason they don't provide suitable parkings.

     
  • At Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just called JPN and they said now it takes about 2-3 working days even you replace your I.C. in Putrajaya, is it true?

    I was robbed and need to get my I.C. done before I proceed with my driving license and others application.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous carlos said…

    it just takes only 24 hours or 1 day to replace ur IC in Putrajaya.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home