EngLee's Path

A blog about Eng Lee's life, a freelance programmer in Royal Klang Town (Malaysia).


Monday, June 30, 2008

Today's The Last Day, Tomorrow's The First Day


Every ending represents another new beginning. I believe that's always true. Today is my last day at eGENTING. That's the place I wish to leave especially when I get support call early at 4:00am. How I wish to resign earlier when my whole weekend is used to trace a program bug, working for the company, from home. Not to mention staying awake till morning to make sure all servers are up and running.

Surprisingly, I feel sad today. I don't feel like leaving all the good memories I had with the team. That's my very first job. That's the place I learn all the world-class programming style, and one of the best system designs, if not the best. That's where I see all wonderful people who always generous to share all they learn. How I wish my resign notification period could be longer, so that I could stay a little longer in the company.

I have been telling myself in the past one year, it's really time to move on. I know what I want. I know it very clear. I can't hide. I must not procrastinate anymore. It's time for me to face it. That's how I convince myself to resign three months ago.

After 6:00pm of 30 June 2008, I'm a free man. I'm not tied to any company anymore. I'll be concentrating for my own projects, working for myself. As what Robert Kiyosaki said, how do you get job security when your job and your salary is determined by someone else? I'll decide myself this time.

I'll go own my own, unless someone could offer a very very good deal that I can't resist. I'll be working on a few projects I have already secured in my hand, finish them in a few months.

As I work on the projects, I hope I could pick up a technical partner who could handle the system development so that I can concentrate on getting more deals.

Finally, the last thing before I move on. Thanks to the people who brought me up to what I am today. Special thanks to Mr Jonathan Searcy who opened my eyes to the real programming world. I don't think I'll meet another boss like him. To Seng Yaw, who guided me all the way and allowed me to sleep in his car everyday. To Chee Wah, Sze Hau and Jenn Yeh, who showed me the way when I got lost, don't know where to find solution. To Chee Leng, who always provided me with all kind of administration needs. To the others in the department (lsh, khl, smk, kwp, ygl, yhd, hyc, jhp, fyl, mpf, tlt, ken, vik, bas), whom we shared the great memories together. Lastly, to the others in Genting Group, who gave me all the phone calls and emails when I'm sleepy in the office.

OK. Enough with the appreciation. I believe they have heard me. I still have only 20 minutes to plan for my new beginning, to start first day of the new chapter that I have waited for a long time.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Felix Leong said…

    HOW DARE YOU ABBREVIATE US!!!11 :lol:

    Anyway, the office feels different with your place empty :(. All the best in your latest venture, and since you mentioned Robert, you better make sure you work it out to be a B rather than a S*. :)

    ... and don't forget about me should you found an opportunity which I'll be of the best benefit/strength to you ;).

    p/s: Let me know when you had setup my testing (sandbox?) account. Wouldn't mind sharing the cost with you considering that I don't (and won't) need that much space and bandwidth for now :).

    *Note: Refer to Cashflow Quadrant if you don't quite get what I mentioned here.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck man.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:02:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    I don't know whether everyone in the office like to be named in full. Abbreviation is the way we always use to refer each other in the office. So, I choose the do it that way.

    I know about B and S. Backstab right? (Don't worry, I read cash flow quadrant during my university days)

    I'll setup the ftp account for you later. I have to leave home now..

     
  • At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:02:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    Thanks, gbyeow.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 5:06:00 PM, Blogger Felix Leong said…

    If not, Bullshit? :p (I think there's might be a bunch of nasty words that can be pieced with the BS abbreviation. Probably "Be Smart" for a change? :p)

    Anyway, just drop me a line once it's done :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home