EngLee's Path

A blog about Eng Lee's life, a freelance programmer in Royal Klang Town (Malaysia).


Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fitness Center Pricing


I went to a fitness center in Petaling Jaya, a chained type of fitness center yesterday. Since I'll be in or crossing PJ everyday, it might be a good idea to get a gym membership in PJ.

I had a strange feeling after I went for a tour and consultation about the package pricing of the membership.

The price starts at:

Joining fee: RM700
Processing fee: RM140
Monthly fee: RM245 (or RM265, can't remember)

My feeling: Impossible. How they can survive with this rate?!

Second price:

Joining fee: Waived
Processing fee: Waived
Monthly fee: RM175
Contract: 1 year

My feeling: Sounds more like it.

Third price

Joining fee: Waived
Processing fee: Waived
Monthly fee: RM155
Contract: 2 years

My feeling: 2 years is a little bit too long.

Fourth price

Joining fee: Waived
Processing fee: Waived
Monthly fee: RM123
Contract: 2 years

My feeling: 2 years is still too long, but the price is good.

Fifth price

Joining fee: Waived
Processing fee: RM140
Monthly fee: RM131
Contract: 1 years

My feeling: The package is just nice, but I'll need a HSBC card, which I don't.

In the beginning of the session, when we tried to reduce the price, the consultant claimed they are one of the premier fitness center and emphasis that they are not pasar malam, we can't simply bargain. So, they are NOT pasar malam, huh?

At the end of the discussion, we were thinking, the package is nice but we think the price can go lower for sure! They have came down from RM200+ to almost half of it now.

Don't ask me about which center is that, I'm not going to tell you.

Not to talk about joining or not because I have not made up my mind. I have a feeling like fitness center is built to cheat people's money. They tried to squeeze as much money from you. We could have agreed at any price before we reach the lowest.

So, they are no different from cheating, agree?

Of course, this is business but why can't they just give one standard package?

What happen if the members are discussing about the pricing after they joined?

Share your experience on this, if any.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:41:00 PM, Blogger Felix Leong said…

    On a different tack, it's called "marketing".

    But yeah, that sucked big time. Looking at it, 2 years are a bit too long and the discount didn't really justify the discount. Unless using money spent to put you a guilt trip to force you to go to the gym is a working strategy, I wouldn't consider that.

    Though at least on the brighter side of things, if it is the promoter who told you all the plan options that you had, at least I'd say that he/she's honest (or desperate). Though I'd say that he/she sucked in sales :lolol:

    BTW, they should have known that it's not pasar malam, it's called "negotiation" :p.

     
  • At Monday, July 27, 2009 12:24:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    Marketing == Cheating, it's a fact, no matter how you see it.

    Most probably I'll take the last deal, with the aid of a friend with HSBC card. It also partly depends on my business partner.

     
  • At Monday, July 27, 2009 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Lim Fang-Yin said…

    Well, most marketing people are proud of themselves because in some sense they're the source of company's revenue. And their contribution are calculated using the amount of profit they "generated".

    The end justify the process.

     
  • At Monday, July 27, 2009 12:07:00 PM, Blogger EngLee said…

    Haha. That depends on which side you are seeing it. If you are one of the employees that gets some benefit from the process, maybe you'll think it's fine.. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home