EngLee's Path

A blog about Eng Lee's life, a freelance programmer in Royal Klang Town (Malaysia).


Sunday, July 10, 2005

Retire From Running?


The uncomfortable feeling in my right knee makes me quite worry. It becomes worse from one run to another. It makes me hard to decide whether I should go for the Seremban Half Marathon (21KM) which I’ve registered. WeeSeng suggested that I should go for Chinese acupuncture to confirm my knee problem. Today afternoon, I went with him to one of the Chinese doctor he claimed reliable and has helped him cure his leg in the past. And what the doctor said is… I need to rest at least 6 months to actually get back into running. I’ve never thought that I need to retire that early. He further explained that the pain in my knee is caused by the ligament has became loose and not able to hold the joint very well. If I continue to run, the ligament might become overstressed and incurable. Then I’ll have to retire from sports forever! No! Hopefully I can get back to track after 6 months, which is until next year. Have to go for swimming as my main sport until I fully recovered. Anybody interested to join me for swimming?

[update]To runners, good warm-up and regular training may help to prevent this problem. I've never practice those in my past runs...

6 Comments:

  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 8:49:00 AM, Blogger Tan BoSe said…

    Is that serious? I actually thought of the same reason while I was suffering the knee pain. However, after spending almost RM2k for checking, it was just a minor swelling which needs time to heal. Take your time to rest. If possible, do some physiotherapy exercises. I can brief you the exercises. Swimming is very good for your legs too. Ask Wee Seng to join you as he's keen on swimming lately. Good luck.

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 9:36:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    I guess mine is not as serious as yours. The doctor advised me to take glucosamine and 6 month rest. Physiotheraphy would help. Let me know more about it!

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Tan BoSe said…

    You got to be kidding. If what hui chin's father said is true, then your condition is much more worse than mine. I'll show you how to do the physio when we meet. But actually if you're free, at home or before sleep, try to sit on your bed and stretch your leg in front, lift your straight leg up and down for held for few seconds. This will help to strengthen your leg muscles.

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 12:40:00 PM, Blogger EngLee said…

    OK. Thanks for the advice. :)

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 5:05:00 PM, Blogger zbjernak said…

    hope that you recover in less then 6 months...

    warm-up... me never did before...with my small knee supporting my huge body... i think is just before time that i will join your crowd...

    anyway...cheers....take oart in other sports....too bad swimming is not my cup of tea...badminton,squash,tennis then i am ok

     
  • At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:11:00 AM, Blogger EngLee said…

    Zbjernak, next time remember to warm-up and don't join my crowd!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home